Monday, April 16, 2007

Virginia Tech

Blacksburg VA, what a terrible thing that happened there today. 33 young lives ended far, far before they should have. There are those who believe that all things happen for a reason and that something good might be found from this. I don't think so... I don't think any of those poor families, the mothers, the fathers, brothers, sisters, friends, loves, any who knew or cared for any of those people would find the good from this. There is probably pain and sadness, a deep sadness, maybe numbness flowing through their body. They might imagine it is a dream or hope it is one, or maybe a mistake and that their loved one will walk through that door at any time.
Any of us who care for someone we lose in this world can relate, there is that aching in your heart. The part of your life that feels empty or missing, and why can't it be restored? We are a society, a family, friends, and we all feel it now. I saw a door mat I liked this weekend, it said: "Friends are the family you choose" There were a lot of friends taken today, it will take a long time for healing. Probably a long time before they will feel safe. Now more than ever they will need patience, love, space, time... time to heal. Safety was taken from all of us in a more or less sense.
We have this silent agreement between us all, it is a basis of trust we build between us. We agree we won't kill each other. That trust has been damaged, and we will all need time to heal from this. It is always a selfish self-centered act, someone putting there own emotional needs above anothers existence. Now when we need each other the most, we will be a little less trusting. We will be more protective over the people we care for, which limits how we care for each other. I mean no criticism, because I feel it too. If my daughter was here with me, I'd hold her hug a little longer, I'd tell her I love her a little more, I'd hound her to be careful. We do not want any of the sadness we know the ones who loved those people in Blacksburg are feeling.
I can only pray for those that lost someone, that they will be healed. I pray that we will all be healed. That we can rebuild the trust we lost today. We need to restore the trust we have in each other. That trust is what allows us to work together, to participate in our communities, to help each other. With trust we can obtain peace, which helps even more to strengthen our communities and build stronger relationships. The Dalai Lama says,
"Peace starts within each one of us. When we have inner peacee we can be at peace with those around us. When our community is at a state of peace, it can share that peace with neighboring communities"
Blacksburg, I pray that peace will come to you and wish you all peace. God bless all those who lost their lives there today.

No comments: