Friday, February 22, 2013

Stress

I've decided to try to eliminate stress from my life. One thing I've come to understand is, "it's a killer". No matter what our problems are, stress never helps. We all hold fear and worry in some part of our body. I don't mean some magical spot it emanates from, or that it hides in a part of our body. It seems to me that when we stress or worry we tend to tense some part of our body. For me it's my throat, and then down my spine and to my lungs. Literally, when I worry or stress, I feel my throat constrict and start to extend down throughout my body. It is only a thought, often no different than a dream. Funny how much it is like a dream.

Do you ever have dreams that seem so real that you wake up in a state that feels like you are still in the dream? It seems like you are still fighting demons or enemies, but it was only a moment in time a single thought that arouses and excites your body to a state of strong emotion. In the movie "What the Bleep" they talk about how your body trains itself through behavior to crave certain hormones and enzymes by developing receptors on your cells that favor the chemicals your brain produces. When you have thoughts that cause strong emotions your brain produces hormones and enzymes through the hypothalamus. Many times these can be harmful or damaging to your physical body. Thinking through this, I feel like I should try to eliminate these harmful chemicals. But how do I do it?

I believe the key has to be in training your mind to produce healthy chemicals. When you're happy or feel joy, when at peace or feel full of love. Just as when you are full of worry and produce potentially harmful chemicals, when you are full of joy it's easy to feel the positive impact on your body. So my mission impossible is to try to eliminate stress in my life. We will see how it goes~

1 comment:

Unknown said...

What a wonderful goal!! I wish you the best of luck on this journey! One thing that can help is visualization. If you visualize a stress free life you will achieve it one day!